Click here to subscribe to the Weekly Announcements email.
August 19 - 25, 2018
A NOTE FROM PASTOR MIKE
Grace Church Family,
One of the most profound truths in the universe is that God answers human suffering in the death and resurrection of Christ. Christ suffered in our place on the cross and He knows the suffering we go through. He knows it by experience.
D.A. Carson said, “When Christians think seriously about evil and suffering, one of the paramount reasons we are so sure that God is to be trusted is because He sent His Son to suffer truly on our behalf. Jesus Christ, the Son who is to be worshiped as God, God’s own agent in creation, suffered an excruciating, odious, and ignominious death. The God on whom we rely knows what suffering is all about, not merely in the way that God knows everything, but by experience.”
On Sunday we will focus on “Suffering and Glory, Part 2”, with primary emphasis on “the sufferings of this present time” (Rom. 8:18). That phrase is packed with meaning, loaded with eternal truth; and a bit different than the word “suffer” in verse 17. It will unlock some significant doors into your understanding and grasp of suffering as well as your navigation of it.
I’m looking forward to processing these things with you on Sunday and in the days to come. I love it that we get to gather to worship and hear the Word preached, and I love it that we get to interact life-to-life with brothers and sisters in Christ. Those personal times are when what we hear from the Word in our group gatherings can really be processed, applied, and learned to be lived out. God uses all those times to grow us in grace and the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who experienced suffering in our place, for God’s glory and our eternal good.
For Jesus and the Gospel,
P.S. If you can, read the following passages beforehand and start thinking about some of these questions. Rom. 8:17-39; 2 Cor. 4:1-18; 1 Pet. 3-4
- What kind of suffering are you, or are you not, experiencing? Why? How are you growing in your navigation of suffering? How does your understanding of God’s sovereignty and providence inform your response?
- How solid is your grasp of what a church is; how deep is your involvement; and how does it shape your helping others who are suffering?
- Obviously everyone wants to know why people suffer. How do you explain the often unexplainable? How can you best comfort, and challenge, those who are suffering?
- What difference will a solid Gospel orientation and understanding of suffering make?
Pastoral Care: For any emergency pastoral care need, contact: Andrew McNeill
New Members: Welcome Martin and Jade Eaton! Interested in learning more about church membership? Membership Matters starts this Sunday.
New Ministry Assistant: Welcome Andrew Ma to the church staff!
- August 19 [Sunday] Membership Matters starts
- Wednesday Park Nights: Learn more here
- Fountain Assisted Living Ministry: Help us provide worship services for the residents. Learn more here
- September 5 [Wednesday] Awana begins - Registration is open!
- August 21 [Tuesday] Sewing Circle
- September 7 [Friday] Bible Study begins - book order due by 8/17
- September 13 [Thursday] Bible Study begins - boor order due by 8/31
- August 18 [Saturday] Men's Breakfast
- August 25 [Friday] Men's Angels Baseball Game
- October 19-21 [Fri-Sun] Men's Retreat
- August 24 [Friday] Beach Party & BBQ
ANCHORED (College age)
- August 19 [Sunday] Meet at the Clark's
THE OPEN DOOR (Post-College/Career)
- August 21 [Tuesday] Meet at the Licata's
WEEKLY AT GRACE
- [Sunday] Service Times: 8:15am | 9:45 am | 11:15 am
- [Sunday] Prayer (Modular A-1)
- [Wednesday] Park Night | Awana | Jr. High | High School
- [Friday] Prayer (Worship Center) | Men's Bible Study
August 19 - Suffering and Glory, Part 2 Romans 8:17-18
GO WITH GRACE
Received to date (since 12/2014): $616K
Want to know more? Click here
Fill out my online form.