Human Depravity Goes From Bad to Worse
In 1947 American sociologist Carle Zimmerman published his 800 page magnum opus, “Family and Civilization”. He identified 11 “symptoms of final decay” observed in the fall of Greek and Roman civilization…
- No-fault divorce.
- Increased disrespect for parenthood and parents.
- Meaningless marriage rites/ceremonies.
- Defamation of past national heroes.
- Acceptance of alternative marriage forms.
- Widespread attitudes of feminism, narcissism, hedonism.
- Propagation of anti-family sentiment.
- Acceptance of most forms of adultery.
- Rebellious children.
- Increased juvenile delinquency.
- Common acceptance of all forms of sexual perversion.
All of these have found their way into mainstream America. Depraved humanity going from bad to worse. But if you are trusting in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross, in our place, dying for our sin, our perfect substitute, then your hope is in the gospel. Our hope in Jesus, the anchor for our souls. Even as the world continues to shift downward.
“But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it” 2 Timothy 3:1, 12-14