Assurance of Salvation
Many Christians lack assurance of salvation, while some unbelievers live with false assurance. How can you know for sure if you are saved?
Assurance of salvation is a state of mind based on a doctrine known as the eternal security of Christians. If you desperately want to be right with God but doubt if you are saved, if you are one of the elect, you need assurance. Some fear they are a son of hell (Matt. 23:15) rather than a son of God (Jn. 1:12). It might be due to committing some sin or doubts cultivated in the mind. There is a constant battle being waged for mind. We are instructed to take every thought captive to obedience to Christ. We are to test ourselves to see if we are in the faith! See if these are present...
1. Do you have Jesus? 1 Jn. 5:11-12.
2. Do you listen to Jesus' voice (God's Word) and follow Him? Jn. 10:27.
3. Do you love believers? John 13:35.
4. Do you abide in Christ? Jn. 15:7.
5. Do you do what Jesus says? Jn. 15:10, 14.
6. Do you experience God's discipline when you sin? Heb. 12:7-8.
7. Do you confess and repent of sin? 1 Jn. 1:9.
8. Does the Holy Spirit bear witness with your spirit that you are a child of God? Rom. 8:16.
See Rom. 11:29 (Context: salvation and election), you need to make all the more sure of His calling of you. (The gifts and calling of God are irrevocable). Bottom line: Loving Jesus and wanting to please Him are indicators of having life in Christ.
More in Looking to Jesus
October 10, 2019Imitating Christ Leads to Unified Worship and Witness
September 6, 2019Sermon in a Nutshell: Romans 12:9-21 "Real Christianity"
August 13, 2019Seriously? What???? One Step Closer to Home